You’ve all heard of cosmetics labels, but you don’t necessarily know what they mean, or what they entail? Are you lost in this world of labels and certification? What’s the difference between organic and ecological labels? Today, we’re going to enlighten you and explain all the possibilities in terms of natural cosmetics labels.
Cosmetics labels: what are they?
A cosmetics label is a specific symbol, certification or label affixed to a cosmetics product to indicate that it meets certain specific standards or criteria. Labels are generally awarded by organizations, government agencies or independent third parties to guarantee the quality, safety or environmental impact of a cosmetic product. They can help consumers make informed decisions when choosing cosmetic products.
There are several types of label used in the cosmetics industry, and not all have the same level of stringency:
- Organic cosmetics labels: This label indicates that the ingredients used in the product are organically grown and have been cultivated without the use of pesticides or chemical fertilizers. It may also require that the final product be manufactured without synthetic additives or preservatives.
- Cruelty-free labels: This label indicates that the product has not been tested on animals. It is generally awarded by animal protection organizations.
- Hypoallergenic labels: This label indicates that the product has been formulated to reduce the risk of allergic reactions. However, it should be noted that individual sensitivities may vary, and it is always best to consult the list of ingredients before use.
- Eco-labels: This label indicates that the product has been manufactured with environmental impact in mind, using sustainable practices and reducing carbon emissions.
- Ingredient certification labels: Some labels focus on specific ingredients, such as the Vegan label to indicate that the product contains no ingredients of animal origin.
What’s the difference between organic and ecological cosmetics labels?
The difference between an organic cosmetics label and an ecological cosmetics label lies mainly in the specific criteria and objectives they seek to achieve.
Organic cosmetics labels focus primarily on the ingredients used in cosmetic products. It aims to guarantee that these ingredients are organically grown, i.e. cultivated without the use of chemical pesticides or synthetic fertilizers. The organic cosmetics label generally requires a high percentage of organic ingredients in product formulation, which varies according to the standards of each country or certification organization. They may also require that manufacturing processes comply with ecological standards, and that finished products are manufactured without harmful chemical additives. Organic cosmetics labels focus on agricultural sustainability and environmental protection.
The ecological cosmetics label focuses on the overall environmental impact of the cosmetic product, going beyond the ingredients used alone. It may, however, take into account various aspects, such as sustainable resource management, reduction of carbon emissions, use of eco-friendly packaging, waste minimization and promotion of environmentally-friendly practices throughout the product’s life cycle. An ecological cosmetics label or natural cosmetics label may also include social criteria, such as respect for workers’ rights or support for fair trade initiatives. The main aim of an eco-label is to promote a global, environmentally-friendly and sustainable approach to the cosmetics industry.
At Ecogarantie, we see ourselves as both an eco-label and an organic cosmetics label. Why do we do this? Because to obtain the label, all natural ingredients must be organically grown. That’s right, 100% of them! We take great care over the composition of our products.
Beyond the formulas, which must be healthy and irreproachable, we take into account a number of environmental issues. The shaper must make sustainable commitments in the way he produces. They must pay close attention to water and electricity consumption and waste management. If possible, they must use renewable energies. Packaging must also be recycled and recyclable.
How are organic cosmetics labels reassuring?
Consumers tend to think that labels don’t necessarily mean much, or don’t know exactly what’s behind them. But think again!
Organic cosmetics labels guarantee you a number of criteria that have been checked beforehand:
- Natural, organic ingredients: Products bearing an organic cosmetics label guarantee the use of natural, organic ingredients from organic farming. This means that these ingredients have been grown without chemical pesticides, synthetic fertilizers or genetically modified organisms. Consumers are reassured in the knowledge that they are using products that contain natural ingredients that are healthy for their skin.
- Fewer harmful chemicals: Organic cosmetics labels tend to exclude the use of harmful chemical additives such as parabens, sulfates, phthalates, synthetic colorants, artificial preservatives and so on. Consumers feel reassured in the knowledge that they are avoiding exposure to these potentially harmful substances.
- Respect for the environment: The organic cosmetics label encourages environmentally-friendly production practices. This includes promoting organic farming, preserving ecosystems, reducing carbon emissions, minimizing waste and using eco-friendly packaging. Environmentally-conscious consumers feel reassured in the knowledge that they are supporting cosmetics whose production has a reduced impact on the planet.
- Transparency and control: Organic cosmetics labels are generally backed by independent bodies that carry out controls and certifications. This guarantees greater transparency regarding product composition, production methods and compliance with established standards. Consumers can therefore have confidence in products bearing an organic cosmetics label because of these independent quality controls.
At Ecogarantie, we have a major advantage. We are considered Europe’s strictest label, first and foremost because all our natural ingredients must be organically grown. On top of that, we guarantee total transparency. Unlike other labels, we don’t control the formulas and member companies ourselves. Instead, we call on 3 independent inspection bodies to audit our members every year. As a result, we can promise consumers a 100% neutral label, handled by experts. If you’d like to find out more about our certification and auditing bodies, please read our previous article.
That’s why our label is such an asset in the world of organic cosmetics labels. It’s a demanding, strict and reliable organic cosmetics label. With this article, we’ve shed some light on the subject of cosmetics labels, and explained why an independent, neutral label is the best choice.